21 Sept 2018

The Crashed ship

In an earlier post I talked about how I'd ended up doing some CAD designs that Blotz were kindly going to turn into actual kits. The first set is finished and I'v got all but one of the kits in the set now.

Now I've got my mitts on them I'm going to start painting them as soon as I've finished the Stormtroopers. Basically I want to take some cool photos of the ship set once it is painted and need the troopers to add into the pictures. ;-)

The smallest set is just some barricades made from hull fragments.

Several of the pieces are side hull sections. I was still learning at this point but tried to keep some design consistency running through the set and used copied details to try and achieve this.


cargo door

Evac deck

There are two different escape pods in the set. One intact that fits into the Evac deck as an un-jettisoned pod and one which has crashed.

I'd tried to make it reminiscent of the crashed star destroyers on Jakku and I think the engine nozzles is probably the piece that captures that the most.

Junt gave me an idea for an internal bulkhead door which was nice and simple but good for placing between hull pieces on the table.

The other bits make up the command structure on the ship with a bridge, raised observation deck and the radar domes.

I'm aiming to get it all finished in the next few weeks so I can pop it down and get some piccies of the (almost) complete set.

Plenty to keep me busy!


As summer comes to a close....

I've been a busy boy lately but I need to be as I've got so many projects on the go at the moment that it is hard to know what to try and finish. Especially difficult as I want to do it all!

I have made some efforts to try and get small jobs done and put away as I have soooo many bits and bobs hanging around in the man cave prepped and undercoated.

The VSF project is still bubbling away quietly. I’m waiting on a few more Aeronefs from Blotz but thought I’d get some crew painted whilst I wait for them. I find little sets of figures like this refreshing to paint as they tend to be pretty different to the massed batch painting that comes with wargaming forces.

Also started some deck guns for the VSF which shouldn’t take long to do.

Also finished were some much needed additions to my Iron Warriors force. Sadly their first outing was less than stellar as they got absolutely smashed by a leviathan with a grav-bombard!

Bit of scenery done as well. Started them ages ago and had stalled on the painting the beige. Got a second coat on finally and then added some weathering. Lovely models!

Been building more stuff despite having lots on the go already. Couldn’t resist putting together the Dunecrawler from a cheap purchase starter box purchase from Ebay. Very cool figure and I’m looking forward to painting a bundle of stuff for the Mechanicum soon.

Priority does seem to have shifted to the Star Wars Legions stuff in the last few days as I picked up all but the last kit for the crashed star ship range that I designed with Blotz earlier in the year. Whilst I’m getting the scenery sorted I’ve started getting my Imperial forces done. They were a cheap double set that Junt spotted for Tea Urn and I. We snapped it up! They were badly put together and poorly undercoated but with a bit of TLC they’ve come out okay. I did a test one to see how much of a pain the black and white scheme was to paint but it wasn’t too much of an issue so I’m looking forward to painting these now!

The dreads and the servo crane set have taken me up to 204 items painted this year which I’m okay with. I’ve lost count of how much I’ve purchase this year which is far from my intention of only buying a minimal amount.