30 May 2019

Mustafar progress 2

Chipping away at the different pieces for the walkway set. There's still a long away to go but I'm getting there!

All pieces are made now and a couple need their last spray to cover the exposed wood on the edges.

I'm generally happy with how the colour scheme is going. I suspect that I will find the three coats of red to be quite tedious in the end but at the moment I'm still nicely motivated.

I need to start thinking about the lava sections as well. I've got some 3mm foamed PVC ready as the base and some pink foam for the craggy bits soI think I'm all good to go on that part. I'll need to take over the dining room table for a few evenings so I have space enough to work on those bits.


20 May 2019

Jakku finished!

I gave myself a kick up the bum over the weekend and finished the last two pieces for the crashed starship scenery set. There wasn't much to do, just some basing on the pod and weathering on the nose section.

Good to get this done and satisfying as it was the first set that I designed.

Wrecked ship nose

Pod front

Pod side


Table is only 5x3 so it is a bit squished together. It'll look better on a 6x4. Needs some rocks as well and I'm tempted to buy a desert scenery mat as well.

YTD 179!


15 May 2019

Mustafar progress 1

Now that I'm happy with my colour scheme I've started on the rest of the set. I decided to have a crack at some of the slot in accessories first. All the interface points on the kits are identical so these parts of the kits can be added to wherever there is a lift out rail section.

Ladders and sensor pods

I do like painting screens!

All popped together.


13 May 2019

Project: Mustafar

I've got my mitts on the kits I need for my Mustafar/Mars scenery set now thanks to the excellent folks at Blotz!

Loads to do but I needed to pin down my colour scheme before getting stuck in. I'd painted the Blotz demo ones white but I wanted to go dark with my set to fit in with dark volcanic look for the table.

So I started with a black under coat. I usually spray them whilst they are still on the flat sprue and then again after construction. This avoids any difficulties getting the spray into nooks and crannies after putting the kits together.

After undercoating I gave the center of the platform a dry brush of medium grey as I wanted to break up the black and give the panels alternative contrasts. The main body was very dark so I picked out the detail on the leg panels and painted the platform edges and rail supports.

After that I tinkered with colours until settling on the ones shown. I want to pick out a couple of details with gold but this is essentially it now.

Right! Just a ton more to paint.